The winter of 2014 brought with it record amounts of snowfall which in turn brought ice dams on roof tops all across Michigan and with the ice dams came leaking roofs. While we tried to clean the snow off as many of the roofs that we could get to, there were still thousands that developed leaks. These leaks allowed water to get into the attics, walls and ceilings causing thousands of dollars of damage to the homes and businesses that had excessive ice dam buildup on the roofs.
If you were one of the ones that experience water intrusion in your attic you may discover, in a few months that the people in the home are getting sick more often. This may be due to the fact that the water leak you had during the winter may have caused mold growth in your attic and now the mold spores are finding a way into the living spaces of your home.
Mold spores find the three things it needs to grow in the attic of your home.
- Nutrients: Cellulose is a common food for spores in an indoor environment. It is the part of the cell wall of green plants.
- Moisture: Moisture is required to begin the decaying process caused by the mold.
- Time: Mold growth begins between 24 hours and 10 days from the provision of the growing conditions. There is no known way to date mold.
Mold colonies can grow inside building structures. The main problem with the presence of mold in buildings is the inhalation of mycotoxins. Molds may produce an identifiable smell. Growth is fostered by moisture. After a flood or major leak, mycotoxin levels are higher in the building even after it has dried out.
You may have had the leak due to the ice dam on the roof taken care of and even had the walls and the ceiling replaced but if you did not have the attic area treated for the mold spores chances are that your attic could be filled with with mold. If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms it could be a sign of mold exposure.
- Nasal and sinus congestion, runny nose
- Eye irritation, such as itchy, red, watery eyes
- Respiratory problems, such as wheezing and difficulty breathing, chest tightness
- Throat irritation
- Skin irritation, such as a rash
- Sneezing / Sneezing fits
Here are a couple websites that have good information on mold and what to do about it.
Roof leaks and mold FAQ
We had a roof leak a year ago, but we had it fixed, can my home still have mold?
YES. Repairing the roof does NOT remove the mold that has already started to grow in the insulation throughout the attic. A small area of mold will continue to grow into a large area even after your roof is repaired.
Mold growth in the attic is ok.
NO. Every attic has some mold, however, when the mold growth in your attic is visible in large quantities it is considered excessive. It must be removed, or it will find its way into the living areas of your home and become a health hazard. Keep your attic mold under control when you have any type of roof leak.
Roof Cleaner can treat your attic area to kill the mold growth, our mold inhibitors will not only kill the mold that is growing but will also help to stop any future growth from happening as well.